Saturday 30 July 2016

Butterflies flying hither and thither

In her entry for 21st of July 1906, Edit talks about seeing butterflies "flying hither and thither". Her butterflies were Meadow Browns, attracted by blossom in a Privet hedge. Mid-afternoon on July 26th, 110 years later, I was scurrying between the office and hotel when I noticed 3 Large Whites apparently attracted by the Buddleia on a vacant lot between offices. They were not obliging enough to settle, so here is one from my Sussex garden.

Large White butterfly from my Sussex garden.
This butterfly seems to be very abundant this year. I have been doing the Big Butterfly Count, in which people all over the country record the species and numbers of butterflies that they see.  In previous years, Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns have dominated my lists but this year the Large Whites are way ahead of the others.

July 27 - White tailed bumble bee on Fuchsia.
After work the next day, I took a walk along the side of the busy A45 Coventry Road to see what flowers and wildlife I could find.  Before I left the hotel grounds, I found a bumble bee on a colourful fuchsia.

July 27 - Burdock.
In the shadow of the hotel wall, I found a burdock.  After this, between the hotel and the railway line there is a 'waste' area surrounded by Buddleia. True to its other name of "butterfly bush" it was attracting the last few butterflies of the day - a couple of whites and a bright Red Admiral, which disappeared into the bushes.

July 27 - Blue Fleabane.
At ground level, there were slender plants, so delicate and inconspicuous, that I hardly saw them to start with. They are Blue Flea-bane.  A little further up, on the NEC boundary, Field Maple and other trees soar into the air. As I looked up, one of the white butterflies settled in the leaves. Maybe that was its refuge for the night. 

July 27 - Wild Carrot by the A45.
Further stil, the verge between the footpath and the road widens, creating a haven for wildflowers, particularly Wild Carrot and Pink Campion.

July 27 - Tree Bumble Bee on Bramble.
Although the butterflies were hiding away for the night there were still plenty of bees around.

July 27 - Red-tailed Bumble Bee.
After reaching the roundabout which leads to the NEC, I retraced my footsteps, and went back to the vacant lot at Trinity Park.  Here I found bees busy on the bright yellow Ragwort. 

July 27 - Teasels.
I was photographing the fine, tall teasels, when a family passed on their way to the hotel. The little girl was more curious than the others and looked in the direction I was photographing. She was thrilled to see a rabbit. With that pleasant encounter, I returned to the bar and joined my colleagues for drinks and a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment