Sunday 8 May 2016

Oaks showing their first signs of golden bronze

In her entry for the first of May 1906, Edith wrote about her journey home from a holiday.

The country is looking much more beautiful than when I came through it three weeks ago. The primroses are still thick on the banks, the hedge are all green, many of the apple orchards in blossom; and the Oaks showing the first signs of golden, bronze foliage.

Fields between Coventry and Birmingham.
On my way from Sussex to Birmingham I saw many primroses tumbling down shaded banks and, between Coventry and Birmingham saw a countryside that was, in many ways, not so different to the one that Edith saw - with fields separated by hedges, farm houses etc. However, Edith would not have seen so many yellow rapeseed fields on her journey. The crop has increased massively from the 1970s when scientists bred varieties suitable for human consumption. Increased mechanisation means that there are fewer people and no horses working the land.

This week I was lucky with my hotel room. I've been staying in the Crowne Plaza and had a room looking over the NEC's Pendigo lake. In search of oak trees, I headed to the North East part of the lake, near the Hilton Metropole hotel, where there is a bluebell wood.

First sight of the woodland from the lakeside - Oak with fresh leaves.
Skirting round the edge of the lake, a quick glance reveals that the Oaks here are already green with new leaves.
Bluebells and Yellow Archangel.
 
A path leads me through a patch of bluebells mixed with Yellow Archangel, which Edith referred to as Yellow Weasel's Snout. Two Carder bees are visiting the flowers.

Looking up at a big oak, just coming into leaf.
The oak that I saw from across the water is a lovely big tree that makes a fine silhouette against the sky. As I look up, a group of ducks fly over.  A red-tailed bumble bee is bumbling around the flowers and foliage at its feet.

Fresh Oak leaves and tassels of Oak flowers
As I follow the trail, a younger tree has branches low enough for me to take a good look at the tassel flowers. 

A view of Resorts World from the woodland.
There is a tremendous amount of bird song in this wood.  A sudden rustle attracts my attention and I see a squirrel running up a tree.

oak apples.
Further along, a large tree has oak apples, which are the homes of a tiny gall wasp.  Although the wood is heavily used by hotel guests, there are many wild plants and the promise of flowers to come. Wild Arum is sending up spears, and there are large clumps of foxglove and honeysuckle leaves.

Bluebells near the Hilton Metropole.
If I pick my view carefully, I can see just a lovely sweep of bluebells and trees.

Looking towards NEC halls.
Finally the big NEC halls come back into view and I continue my walk.

Huge Oak - 3 hugs!
The bluebells gradually thin out. Just before the end of the green area, just beyond the hotel, there is a huge, ancient oak. It would take three people to get their arms round it.  I wonder just how many years it has been there and am thankful that the NEC developers had the sense to work round this irreplaceable giant.  When Edith walked and cycled round the countryside, it is quite likely that she passed this already mature tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment